Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The importance of keeping it together

It is the last month of the year and I cannot stress on this enough ~ Cannot wait for this year to exit. It has been the most difficult year of our life. Emotionally, mentally, physically, financially. Every which way I look, this has to be the year a lot of things changed for me and us.

the last post I wrote a few days ago, referred to Sage and his health. He has epilepsy. It has been a crushing discovery. That my joyful, playful, boisterous puppy is almost always drugged now and not his usual self has been so painful. We are hoping he will be better soon. He is getting all the medical attention he needs, we are trying to deal with this and live with it. I am mostly home bound now and spend all my time with him. K and I really thought this would be a one off case due to his habit of picking up rubbish on his walks and there is no telling what he may have ingested. Turns out he has a life long condition. The stuff we are reading online and the advice of the doctors suggest he will have a reasonably good life and we need to be tough enough to see him through this.

That's the toughest part, to watch him have a seizure and keep our wits around us and negotiate the 30 minutes it takes to clean him up, comfort him and reassure him that everything is going to be fine. It is tough to stay sane when all you want to do is flay your arms and cry. 

Work wise I am very happy the way this year has shaped up. I cannot help thinking if it would have been better without the bitterness that cropped up several times in business dealings. People who try and short change you, act like they are friends when it suits them and business partners when it doesn't. So suddenly in the middle of telling you how they cannot make a payment because their child has been mysteriously unwell for a month they will talk of professionalism. I had to chase someone for 6 months to get my payment and that has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I have now decided to work with people only on an advance payment. It makes it unpleasant to state these terms, but its better than being cheated. 

On the classes front, a lot of people think that conducting cooking classes is not work, but you are just doing something for timepass, especially because you operate from home. I have heard rubbish that fellow bloggers who recently turned culinary teachers have accused me of copying their ideas and what not! I got sucked in for a while. Bitching my heart out about fellow frenemies, bloggers and random people in the home baking business who spoke behind my back. I got riled up when people in the baking business insinuated that they put in ten times more effort than I did for half the money. 

That's when I decided I needed to purge such people from my everyday dealings... easier said than done... I am trying, but every time I slip, I shake myself and get back on... something I have learnt from sage!

On a brighter note, I baked yet another rainbow cake on monday. This time for a girl so lovely and such a terrific friend. If there is one friendship that makes me feel special, it is this one.
Displaying DSC_0512.JPG

I couldn't go to wish her at 12, but K did and together with J my friend's hubby, they managed to somehow put up the bunting I made for the cake. I was not too happy, but it served the purpose!

Wishing my dearest B a lovely year ahead and may all the things she is chasing, come to her and fill her life with laughter and joy and happiness.




No comments: